Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 2 - Orange Nails and Jelly Sandwich Tutorial


Peanut butter jelly time! Peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly and a baseball bat! :D Just kidding! ;) You all thought that we I was going to teach you how to make the perfect peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Alas, I am not. I will be teaching you how to make the basic “Jelly Sandwich (or Sammich, whatever you prefer ;)) Nails” for Day 2 of the 31 Day Nail Challenge. So welcome to orange nails! You might be wondering what the heck “Jelly Sandwich” nails are so take a look below. As you can probably tell, they are just muted glitter nails. This is the first time I’ve created them myself, but they seem like a great background for other designs or just great for accent nails when you don’t want too much glitter! So if interested, let’s get started! (I know, they’re not really the coolest nails EVER… :/ But they do seem to be trending lately :)
You will need:
  • 1 nail polish (any color you want)
  • Chunky nail polish glitter (the chunkier, the best for jelly sandwiches. I wouldn’t recommend fine glitter like my Spit Fire by Pure Ice because the texture won’t be the same).
  • Clear nail polish (may or may not be used, will explain later)
For orange day, I used this gorgeous orange by OPI called Y’all Come Back, Ya Hear. It’s a bright orange but not exactly neon. I had to apply 2 coats to get it this color.  

1.       Start off with your base color.
2.       Apply your chunky glitter on top. Let this glitter dry completely. I used A Party of Five Glitters by Wet n’ Wild and this is more of a clear coat with some chunky glitter inside so I didn’t have to add the clear nail polish on top. If your glitter isn’t “smooth” when it’s applied, then I’d suggest using a quick clear top coat so your jelly sandwich will also be smooth instead of bumpy. Wait until your clear coat is dried before moving on once again.
3.       Finally, use the same color nail polish as your base and apply 1 coat right on top of the sparkles! It’s that easy. :)
I totally understand that this nail design isn’t for everyone and is kind of weird, but I thought that I’d show you how I did it. Here are a couple more pictures.
This orange is the same color as my Nike shoe box! :D (I love my new Nike shoes by the way. They’re black and lime green and SUPER comfy!)
And I added a matte topcoat to my jelly sammich! My topcoat is Matte-ly in Love by Hard Candy. This nail polish is only $4 at Walmart. And what is matte? Matte takes away the shine that nail polish has and makes it completely “dry” looking. A nice effect to nail polish too if you’re tired of all the shiny! ;) Matte top coat is like a clear polish that you can apply onto any nail polish/design and “matte-ify” it.
I hope you all enjoyed learning more about some nail polish techniques today! Until tomorrow, (yellow nails! :O) Your Polish Pal, Jenna :)
Uh oh… getting rid of the iPhone this next week. :( I better find my camera charger soon…….! >:( Goodbye to the ease of taking pictures and just uploading them! :’( Tutorials may not be so easy to create for a while… especially if I can’t find the charger!

No comments :

Post a Comment