Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Newspaper Nail Tutorial

Eeeeeek! Hey girls! I am so sorry that I haven't posted anything for a week. :'( I have been doing my nails and making several tutorials, but I just didn't think that they were well enough made to post on the blog. I like to have quality photos and colors, but it wasn't really happening... Well, I finally succeeded in completing some newspaper nails which were requested by a few girls on Instagram! So hurray! Are you guys ready to make these?!

Awesome Newspaper Nails! :D

I am going to try a different method of explaining how to make these and I hope that you can understand! So please bear with me. :) Let's get started! :)

You're going to need rubbing alcohol, newspaper, a container to hold the liquid, a light nail polish, and a clear coat.
Okay, I used just a plain white base because I personally like the newspaper on white. But you can use any light/pastel color. I wouldn't use a dark color though because the words won't show up! Make sure your nails are COMPLETELY DRY!!! The results will only end badly if you're not patient!
Get your rubbing alcohol and container ready! I just used plain, old regular rubbing alcohol that you can buy at any drug store. I've seen that you can use anything with a high concentrate of alcohol (hand sanitizer, extracts such as vanilla, and of course alcoholic drinks haha) but I prefer just rubbing alcohol because it's easy to obtain and cheap. I've also seen people use water to make newspaper nails, but I tried that before this and that didn't work for me. Sorry guys! You'll have to look up that on YouTube like I tried and see if that works for you! And for my container to hold the alcohol, I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Not because of the volume though! I used it because it was a deep dish. :) You want to fill up something that is deep and I didn't want to waste a ton of rubbing alcohol by putting it into a bowl.
Now just pour enough alcohol into the container that you can soak your nail into it.
See? Just enough to dip my nail in!
Take your newspaper and rip it into chunks. You can cut them up but it's just so much easier to rip them up! Make sure that the pieces are big enough to cover your nail but not too big.
This is my chunk that I'll rip into half again.
Here are a ton of chunks :)
Now we can start! Stick one of your nails into the rubbing alcohol. Let it soak for about 10 seconds.
Place a newspaper piece onto your nail quickly before the alcohol dries!
Now with your other hand, squeeze your finger with the newspaper on it. To make sure that you get the words transferred onto both sides of the nail (not just the middle) rock your thumb and pointer finger (that's what I used to squeeze) back and forth. Another tip is to dip your thumb that you will be squeezing into the rubbing alcohol to make it wet and not tear the paper when you hold it and rock it. Oh and yes, my yellow newspaper nails. ;)
When you think that you have rocked enough and got enough words transferred, gently pull off the newspaper! Ta daaah! But you're not done yet!!!
This step is crucial. You need to have a clear top coat! Otherwise the words just come off! And make sure you apply the top coat quickly after you removed the newspaper. I am using Seche Clear.
 
Look! Now you are done! Repeat with the rest of your nails and enjoy! :)
My left hand :)
A darling little mirror necklace
More of the mirror!
As you can see, you can do any light colored base! (Why did I use yellow.... >.< Oh well, it kind of looks like something from the Yellow Pages! ;))
Oh and newspaper nails make great backgrounds for other designs! These are supposed to be trees, with little hearts and a moon. ;)

I hope that you are now able to make some awesome newspaper nails! I've seen and heard that you can use magazines, comics, and even maps as a substitute of newspaper. But the reason why the prints comes off is because of the paper. So I'm afraid that you can't just print or write things on paper and have those show up on your nails! And just in case you didn't notice, the words come off onto your nails mirrored. ;) So don't worry if the words seem wonky! They are! ;) If you have anymore questions, concerns, or suggestions, please comment below or email me! :) I hope that you liked this different lay out! Until next time, Your Polish Pal, Jenna :)







No comments :

Post a Comment